Saturday, February 9, 2013

Plantain Breakfast Hash

Birthday Breakfast!  Plantain Breakfast Hash served with steamed green beans and salsa. 

Lunch the next day.  Complete with beautiful flowers!

Last week, Rem made me THE BEST breakfast on my birthday: ripe plantain sauteed with ground beef and mushrooms!  We had some browned ground beef in the fridge and ripe plantains on the counter that Rem had been using to make this AWESOME hash for himself for breakfast.  I hadn't tried it yet, but every time he made it I wondered to myself why I didn't just make some too.  The night before my birthday, I mentioned that it sounded really good to make for breakfast the next day, and when I came downstairs that morning, Rem had already made it for me!  He is the best husband.  

This dish was so good that I made it again the next day for lunch.  The flowers in the background are ones that Rem sent to school for me on my birthday!  Again, he's the best!

Rem also made this today with ground pork instead of beef, and it was possibly even better.  The plantain gets nice and sweet, which contrasts nicely with the earthiness of the beef (or pork) and mushrooms.  Just make sure your plantains are nice and ripe.  Below is a picture of what they should look like when they're ripe.  You can cook with them when they're not as ripe (they'll be greener in color) but they don't taste sweet at all (more like a potato).  Do yourself a favor and wait until the plantains are ripe, because the sweetness they lend to this dish is part of what makes it so tasty.  




Plantain Breakfast Hash (Serves 1)

extra-virgin coconut oil (about 1 T)
1 ripe plantain, peeled and cubed
1/2 c fresh, sliced mushrooms
4 oz. browned ground beef
salt and pepper

Directions:
Heat coconut oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.  Add plantains and mushrooms.  Don't stir them too often, letting them get some color and letting the plantains get a little caramelized.  You want the plantains to become golden on all sides.  Once the plantains and mushrooms are cooked to your desired doneness, add the ground beef, salt, and pepper.  Since it's already cooked, you're just adding the ground beef to the skillet to get it warm.  Once the ground beef is hot, your meal is ready!


No comments:

Post a Comment