Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas

I have made this recipe more times than I can count.  I originally had a version of these enchiladas back in college when my friend Kristin made them for a dinner party.  I'd never had this type of enchilada and was a instant fan!  Creamy filling, a little spiciness from the chiles and jalapenos, gooey cheese, and crunchy bits of tortilla on the edges of the pan... doesn't get better than that!  Given the number of times I've made this, I can't believe I've never taken a picture of the finished product!  I'll work on it... because I'm sure I'll make it again very soon!

Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas

2-2.5 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (seasoned with cumin, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper then BAKED and cubed into very small pieces, or SLOW COOKED for about 6 hours on high then shredded)
1-2 c sour cream, plain greek yogurt, or whole milk plain yogurt
1 medium sweet onion, diced small
2 small cans green chiles
*optional: 1 small can jalapenos
corn tortillas (I like these since they're gluten free)
flour tortillas (if you don't need to eat gluten free, Trader Joe's Truly Handmade are the BEST)
1 jar Herdez salsa verde (this brand has much higher quality ingredients than any of the green enchilada sauces I can find)
cheddar cheese, shredded (I can't bring myself to buy preshredded cheese any more because it is just so much better when you grate/shred it fresh....  Love organic/grassfed white cheddar for this recipe)

Cook the chicken.  Chop or shred it.  Mix it with sour cream/yogurt, onion, green chiles, and jalapenos (optional) until you get a creamy mixture- the chicken should be totally coated.  Now you'll need to decide how much corn tortillas and flour tortillas you want to make.  This is a pretty "loosey goosey" recipe and I'm sorry for that, but I trust that you will have success with this recipe no matter what.  Get a 13x9 pan and grease with olive oil/butter/coconut oil, then pour a light layer of green salsa over the bottom.  You'll fill each tortilla with filling, roll it up, then lay them seam side down in the pan.  You'll want to kind of smush them in there.  Do all corn, all flour, or a mix of both types of tortillas.  Pour a line of salsa over each filled tortilla, then sprinkle shredded cheese on top of each tortilla.  You'll know how much to use, depending on how much of a cheese lover you are!

You may have some chicken filling left after filling all of your tortillas!  If you do, make another pan of enchiladas OR just put the filling in a casserole dish, top with a little salsa and cheese, and bake along side the enchiladas.  This mixture is also very good mixed with corn and/or cooked rice before baking!

Cover your pan with foil and bake at 450 degrees 30 min, then uncovered for 15 min OR until the cheese has begun to brown and bubble a bit.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment