Monday, January 14, 2013

Greek Salad

If you know me you probably wouldn't believe that I used to hate all vegetables except for cooked broccoli.  Well, the way I eat now couldn't be further from that!  Part of my turn around actually happened in college when I studied abroad in Greece.  I started trying new vegetables and discovered that I loved them!  I really enjoyed the food I ate in Greece, especially the fresh fruit and vegetables I was able to get from the street market.   This is my favorite version of Greek salad, which was a dish I ate almost every day there.  If you eat cheese, it's also delicious with some feta!  Today I ate it mixed with diced chicken, avocado, and spinach- a great lunch!


Greek Salad

1 whole seedless cucumber, cut into coins then quartered
2 green peppers, diced
4 tomatoes, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
juice of 1 lemon
a few swirls of extra virgin olive oil
lots of oregano
a few shakes of salt
a few grinds of freshly ground black pepper

Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl, stir to get all of the veggies covered in the juice, oil, and spices, and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.  Makes 6-8 large servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment