Monday, June 18, 2012

Hummus

I am very excited to be writing my first blog post!  I’ve been thinking of starting a blog for a long time, and I finally decided to take the plunge now that school has ended for the summer.

A few things to note as you read: 
1. When I say “we,” I mean my husband, Rem, and I.  He will be helping me with the design for the blog and the “tech” things I currently know very little about.
2. Many recipes I will share are ones we cooked together.  And any grilled recipe?  Cooked by Rem (for now- until I learn how to grill)!  
3. I love to look at other food blogs and recipes on the internet (see “My Favorite Blogs”), so many of my recipes will be adaptations from recipes I’ve found, or ones inspired by something I saw online!  I will note for each recipe whether it is an original or an adaptation.  

My first several posts will be recipes we make all the time.  If you know me, you might have guessed what I would post about first: hummus!  This recipe is adapted from a family friend who gave us her hummus recipe many years ago.  It requires very little prep time and takes minutes to blend in the food processor!  We eat it mainly with fresh veggies.  I also love to mix it with salsa to make a thick salad dressing. 



Hummus
Adapted from Janel 

2 -15 oz.cans drained and rinsed organic garbanzo beans
½ c extra virgin olive oil
¼ c lemon juice
1/8 c water
2 T tahini
4 cloves garlic, whole
Salt and cumin to taste

Put garbanzo beans, olive oil, lemon juice, water, tahini, and garlic in food processor.  Puree until smooth!  This should take anywhere from 2-6 minutes.   Once it has reached the consistency you want, add the salt and cumin and puree 30 seconds longer.  Recently we have been making roasted red pepper hummus simply by adding ½ jar (about 2 whole peppers) of roasted red peppers to the mix.  So good! 



No comments:

Post a Comment